Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Rotavirus - Don't take it lightly!

I regretted not giving my infant Rotavirus Vaccine! Today is the 6th day since my baby girl was infected and is still having diarrhea, vomiting and fever. It's too late to give her the vaccine now.

The worst is she won't take her milk or her medicine. She is always lethargic and is sleepy just an hour after she's woken from her last nap where normally she'll refuse to take her nap and stays active after 3 to 4 hours. We haven't seen her smile or liveliness for almost a week and our only worry now is if this continues, she will suffer from dehydration and might need to be hospitalized.

I had decided against giving my baby the vaccine as I thought I'm always careful and clean when handling my baby's food and I wash and sterilize her toys, mats and stuffs, so the virus won't have a chance near my baby... I was so confident I didn't even bother to read up on the virus despite the doctor's advise to do so. But no matter how careful or hygienic I try to be... I still won't be the only one holding my baby, feeding her or playing with her all the time...

I strongly urge all moms to go for the vaccine or at least do some reading up on the symptoms and prevention. The vaccine is given orally in 2 or 3 doses, 2 months apart and it has to be given to your baby by 32 weeks or 8 months of age according to the doctor.

Prevention is always better than cure! Don't live to regret it like I do.

0 comments: